Monday, June 7, 2010

June 6 2010-my swimming adventure



So let me catch you up to speed. I am currently in Haiku, Hawaii on an internship with Tom Sewell, a well known artist here on Maui. I just got this up an running.... so i hope this works! Everyday we go to the beach to go swim a mile. Today we went to a new spot (im not quite sure what the name of it was) but we went with a new group of people that go regularly and have a gourmet putlock after the adventure. Everyone started taking off, as I waited for Tom. We got in the water around the same time, and i just wanted to go. I figured I had swam in the ocean before and I am a pretty fast swimmer , so I thought that I would catch up. Well that was the worst mistake I have ever made. We were swimming against the current, something I wasn't familiar with, and this was a new beach so I didn't REALLY know where I was going. I than realized that I saw no one. All of a sudden I saw was this little thing above the water, "Oh a fellow swimmer" I thought.. good I was on the right track. No when I started to look at it closer it was a dark ... coming toward me... and suddenly took on a shape of a fin. I FREAKED out and just than did I realize that there was nothing I could do if that was a shark coming after me. I saw that there were some rocks close to me that were above the water. Thank god I thought.. I thought I would stay there until I saw someone. So i climbed on the rock to stay still, but as soon as I stood up a massive wave came and knocked me over, dragging me for awhile. And this is where I said F it, I was cut, in the ocean and decided to head back to shore the only way I knew- the same way I came. So that is exactly what I did. I made it back safely. That was by far one of the scariest moments in my life though. And now have a new understanding of the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment