Monday, November 15, 2010

Back from ohio- straight to work

I am back in Ohio. My family owns two stores- Shine and Nest. These stores are ran by my mother and two older brothers. When I come home I help as well, with buying and merchandising. The concept behind the store is mixing vintage with new stuff. So what we do is go around to old flee markets and antique stores,pick up mid-century items along with things we just find to be cool. We clean it, fix it up if needed than resell it! I think its pretty fun, just a TON of work because we are constantly getting new stuff in and having to re-merchandise the stores. I have really learned so much throughout the years of being in the business.

I am starting to learn so much from the 60/70's era when it comes to furniture. I am able to recognize designs by the big names like Herman Miller and Heywood Wakefield.

Also being able to looking at art in junk places and being able to see the beauty. We just found a piece for $250 and it was appraised at $12,000. Its really interesting on finding signed art and looking up who they were. I really have got an art education with just researching on my own.

I am lucky to have the opportunity to continue to buy and to merchandise, I have been doing it since I was 15. It really does have everything to do with art...being able to visually mix textures,colors and styles and still have the customers respond the feeling of the space is not an east thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment